2007 canoe trip

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
satillariver4-19-07006.jpg

satillariver4-19-07007.jpg

satillariver4-19-07002.jpg
satillariver4-19-07013.jpg

this was the critter i bought stepped on when i was at our take out i had just sat my rubber maid box on the ground . he was about three feet from me. i had a 25 auto with me but i think i unloaded & loaded twice before i hit him. this was in april of 07 when ga & fla had the bad fires. it was still cool at night & i think this is why he never struck? :shock: :? in one of the pics where he is coiled he never moved even as i was unloading on him .it being cool that morning probally saved me from being bit. we were several miles in the woods & bad road getting into it. :( chuck i don,t believe i couldhave hit him with your judge or scatter gun. :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Really makes me wanna come paddle that area. :wink:

The critters we have here in the Great Lakes area are trout, Canadian geese, ducks, mink, beaver, coyotes, and - sometimes - obnoxious sphincters with radios and boom boxes.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack.......

Down here I have learned how to live with the critters that enjoy the woods with us , after all it is there home we are the invaders into there homes and front or back yards.

Be it Snakes of any description , Gators , Skeeters , Sand Gnats and even the Recluse or Black Widow Spiders.

The one critter that is a real pest are the Fire Ants , they have no respect for anyone and that is just one of the minor reasons like I like the hammock for camping beside being dam comfortable. You do not know if you are camping over a colony of them till the early morning hours when they let you know it is time to move...THEY WILL LET YOU KNOW IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS...... Hanging out above then .... No Sweat.

OK.. I know what you are going to say ......If they have a mound ( Normally when the ground is real wet ) do not toss a tent over them , no one in there right mind would do that :roll: ..... but in the dry time ....no mound to show where they are so that is a gamble on where to put the tent , roll the dice and see what you hit.

Not even thinking of the rest of the critters , big and small but as long as you get along with them they will get along with you. Tread lightly and do not disturb the locals and to be safe ..... Sleep between the trees about 2 feet in the air above them. It works for me.

Just one of numerous reasons I like a side entrance hammock...... Lean out and take a look under you before getting out of it and stepping down to the ground. If there is something there ..... then just watch it till it moseys along on it's way oblivious to you looking at it , then get out after it leaves. Heck you are comfortable so what is the rush.:D

Down here we camp in the wilderness where the critters live and either survive or are eaten.... the rest of the fools camp in the designated camp grounds with flush toilets and electricity for there boom boxes. :twisted:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
<SNIP>... Sleep between the trees about 2 feet in the air above them. It works for me.<SNIP>
Some of us prefer that separation factor to be measured in miles rather than feet. And, for some zeros to be after that first number; three zeros are better than just two.