1st Pirogue complete!!!! | SouthernPaddler.com

1st Pirogue complete!!!!

m4a34u

Jan 18, 2007
Vermilion Parish, Louisiana
I've posted a few times, had may questions asked and answered in the past, and read probably 75% of posts written. I simply am so thankful to the creators of this site as well as all the members who I have taken many ideas and inspiration from (especially Seedtick and Kieth). So here are some pics of the build as it progressed, hope you enjoy.

Jigs
Jigs.jpg

Sides cut and glued
R02082012365.jpg

inside chines added and glued
Sideswithchines.jpg

Stems installed
Topofstem-1.jpg

m4a34u

Jan 18, 2007
Just some info: 15'3" long, 12" sides in center, 25-26" at bottom, and 39-40" at gunwale. I used 4 or 5 mil luan for sides and 3/8" for bottom and cypress stems, ribs, and decks. I used brass screws that my late grandfather had purchased over 30 years ago, so it's like he's riding with me. It has about a 35 deg flare to the sides and about 3" rake in bow and stern. Here's some more pics

The finished front
RfinishedFront-1.jpg

Launched
RLaunched.jpg

Maiden Voyage
RMaidenvoyage.jpg

Fully loaded 535 lbs, still has @ 2 inches of freeboard
RLoaded.jpg

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I like it. :) :) Very good job. The flaired sides and curved stems give it a classic look.
Did you use plans, or how did you determin how much arc to cut out of the sides?

beekeeper

m4a34u

Jan 18, 2007
I use it in the marshes of SW Louisiana, so I wanted a pirogue with not alot of rake and decided to go with a 6" swag cut out of the bottom. A challenging part of the build was forming the stems, I used the post by Seedtick on how to make them, but overall it ended up somewhat different. But the HARDEST part of the build was using a slow hardner for the epoxy, i had to scrape the epoxy off the bottom 2 times before I got a fast hardner that worked.
Thanks,
Bill

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Do you fish?
How long did you wait for the epoxy to harden? What was the temp.? The boat I just glassed worked much better than the ones I did in the winter.
Making the stems "to fit ", and curved is challenging, but worth while. Your's look great.
All of my work turns out looking "somewhat" different. :roll:

beekeeper

m4a34u

Jan 18, 2007
I mostly Duck hunt, but bought a used 19ft Aquasport with a 115hp Evenrude and I'm planning on fishing Vermilion Bay this year.

Waited 2 days for it to dry, scraped it off like uncured paint. It came off in layers to my disgust, I was using Donovan Marine's MARPRO hardner because I got wholesale prices....boy was that a mistake.

The stems taper twords the bottom of the boat and are really thick near the decks. They don't stand proud like on some of Kieth and Seedticks stems, I just kind of worked with what I had.

By the way the pirogue weighed before epoxy 61 lbs after epoxy and paint 72lbs. I'm still fairly strong :D and can carry it by myself over my head....for how far I Don't Know>>>>>

BIll