1952 Crossman .22 cal air rifle | SouthernPaddler.com

1952 Crossman .22 cal air rifle

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
I spotted one at a flea market. It does not build up any pressure when pumped. Is this potentially salvageable for shooting? Any sugestions as to value?

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
BEARS BUDDY said:
I spotted one at a flea market. It does not build up any pressure when pumped. Is this potentially salvageable for shooting? Any sugestions as to value?

No great value (the vast majority of Crosmans trade for $100, or MUCH less depending on model and condition) in old Crosmans to date tho the very earliest and a few of the rarer later models command a small premium.
Is it salvageable? More than likely.
Is it economically salvageable? Different story. But many of the 'steel and wood' era Crosmans (i.e.: Prior to the cast pot-metal and plastic) are still worth saving.
If you can provide a model name or number or accurate description we can take it from there.
While examining it for descriptive purposes take a GOOD look down the barrel with a good light source to determine condition. Since pnuematics concentrate any humidity in the atmosphere when charged those with steel barrels often rust if not cared for properly. In that respect both Benjamin and Sheridan had 'A Better Idea' by using brass barrels. Some of the early Crosmans did also, some of the earliest model 101s having German made brass barrels, but that soon fell to the wayside as Crosman acquired the tooling to make their own barrels and early bean-counter mentality dictated the less expensive steel. Often modern barrels can be used as a replacement for earlier trashed examples at little premium.
Fortunately you live in Michigan so you can't be too terribly far from one of the premier Crosman gurus, Jeff Wolgast. (being a native Texan I simply can't imagine any two points in Michigan being too far apart;o)) Hopefully Bearridge can supply current contact info for getting in touch with Jeff.
You might wanta contact me directly with the description of the gun as I wouldn't have realized you had a question had Bearridge not alerted me. I just have too many hobbies to keep up with all the fora related to my interests so it can be weeks (or sometimes months;o() between visits.
Just please put 'Old Crosman' in the subject line as I have the 'burnt baby' syndrome when it comes to posts from addresses I don't recognize and trash them out of hand. But I would be delighted to advise on options concerning the repair or use of your aquisition to the extent of my limited expertise. Tom
<[email protected]>