16X36 Brazos River Dory | SouthernPaddler.com

16X36 Brazos River Dory

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
This boat has a lot of lumber in it compared to my last build the TV15-29...
It has only 5 forms but all but 2 of the panels can be striped right on the forms..
The strips are 1'' wide and the first riser panel was to difficult to get them to lay right so I did what Ron does and laid them out on a flat surface and mark them out like a regular S&G plywood boat.

The next panel down was striped and glued right on the forms, as with the rest of the panels (alleviating the need to layout on a flat surface) using the adjacent panel as a marking guide to cut the panel to shape....

The panels were sanded to 3/16 thick../

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Not a hole lot of wire ties are necessary....

Epoxied the seams and won't add the last side panel until I can take the clamps off..I will be able to glue it on with wood glue...

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Ron ..the first 2 riser panels were the only ones I did that way....I was able to use my pipe clamps in the process..All the strips were cove-and-bead which I think speeds things up by self aligning..
The last side panel is on and I shortened it making the depth at midship 8.5''...

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Great looking boat and work. Did you clamp the strips to the form at each station? I was wondering if that is why the first strrips would not form correctly. Why the stiches? Is it because of the hard chines between the panels?

beekeeper

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Beekeeper..Thanks....
That first photo, set of panels, having 1'' wide strips they would not lay down right ..I tried a strip I had that was 5/8'' wide and it even had a hard time....so I made nthose 2 panels laying on a flat surface.....In doing the other panels I finish nail each strip to a form and use staples if needed between forms(the cove and bead sure help align the strips in long distances....
After sanding all the panels I just re-atach the panels on with a nail at each station-form ...With 2 1/2 foot between forms I used a wire tie as needed...With the TV I didn't need any wire ties...

Got the hull sanded and ready for (famowood putty) for the nail holes...

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Your using the forms to hold/shape, and glue the strips into panels, removing them after the glue drys, sanding, then placing the panels back onto the forms, then stiching and gluing the panels together, correct? Not gluing all the strips together as you fit them on the form, correct? Thus the need for the stiches, correct?
Are the plans for strip build, or regular ply panels stiched and glued?
I like the cove and bead also. Had some issues on the fill in strips on the bottom that didn't have them.

beekeeper

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
beekeeper said:
Your using the forms to hold/shape, and glue the strips into panels, removing them after the glue drys, sanding, then placing the panels back onto the forms, then stiching and gluing the panels together, correct?
beekeeper

For instance the bottom panel I laid a center strip that had a bead on both edges then glued the strips on from both sides running them past the first riser panel that was already tacked to the forms. Once all the strips were glued on the bottom panel I marked from underneath (using the riser panel as a guide) a pencil line (trim line) on the underside of the bottom panel. Un-nailed the bottom panel from off the forms flipped it over and cut along the line, alleviating the layout process (typical with S&G on a sheet of plywood.)

These are S&G plans and I lade out the first riser panel that way.

I used stitches to hold the individual panels together where needed, being their were only 5 forms.

The TV had 8 forms( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8650 )

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Here are the first panels the bend was to tight to follow the contour so I glued them up straight. This involved first laying the panel out on a flat 16' surface (as a guide to use minimal strips) then clear plastic, then the strips, then lay out the points again on the panel....I think it is more involved than just striping right on the forms.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
woodman said:
Here are the first panels the bend was to tight to follow the contour so I glued them up straight. This involved first laying the panel out on a flat 16' surface (as a guide to use minimal strips) then clear plastic, then the strips, then lay out the points again on the panel....I think it is more involved than just striping right on the forms.

If I'm following you, none of the strips for this panel were bent, correct? What are the dimensions of the floor, and how much rocker?

beekeeper

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Correct they were all glued up straight..
The bottom panel is 20'' wide and 14'8'' long with a rocker of 2 1/2'' from end to end it is symmetrical.

The first coat of epox....

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
hairymick01 said:
Geez Woodman,

I am enjoying this build mate. Personally, i love your work! Thank you for sharing.

Respectfully,

Mick

Thanks Mick..I like you're river pics. also.... reminds me of some of the Ozark streams here in Missouri..
Steve

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
With it sitting in the sling the forms fit perfect without having to adjust a thing..

About 20 min. of sanding and it is ready for fillets.....

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Looking good. :) How wide is it? Is it designed for rowing? What are your plans for it?

Thanks
beekeeper

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
beekeeper said:
Looking good. :) How wide is it? Is it designed for rowing? What are your plans for it?

Thanks
beekeeper

Since it's Brazos River Dory, I'm thinkin' he's sending it to Ron. :wink:

Mike

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
beekeeper said:

Thanks
beekeeper
Oops, I overlooked the 36 in the title of the post. :oops: Is that the overall (max.) width, or the water line width?

beekeeper

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
The overall beam is 36'' and Gerald (the designer) said it would take about 400 lbs. to push this thing down to the 4'' water mark I will check what that width would be....I got the plans here (http://www.theoldmansboats.com/p/boat-p ... -sale.html)

Got the fillets done...And instead of end pours I just mixed up some old epoxy I had arround since 07..Man I mixed some of that stuff up and added a little to much hardner and got it good and thick with wood dust and within 10 min. it started warming up,, 5 min. later it was smoking and foaming up..... :roll:

been rolling used masking tape up into a ball for years now.. :)